If you have a persistently itchy scalp that isn’t caused by dandruff or rashes, you should check yourself for lice. These small, often undetected parasites thrive on your scalp and latch on to your skin to suck out blood. They can make your head very itchy and cause serious discomfort. Even worse, they’re easily passed from person to person, which can make some people in your social circle steer clear of you for a while.
Fortunately, lice can be easily removed with an effective lice remedy. These products are specially designed to kill off any existing parasites and keep the scalp clean and healthy to prevent future infestation.
In our guide, we will highlight the best lice treatment options and help you understand how to select the right product.
Top 10 Lice Treatments Chart
|Picture||Name||Treatment Form||Price||Rating (1-5)|
|Picture||Name||Treatment Form||Price||Rating (1-5)|
|1. Maple Holistics Pure Tea Tree Oil Shampoo - Natural Essential Oil Anti-Dandruff Shampoo||Shampoo||$$$||4.4|
|2. Hyland's Homeopathic Quit Nits Natural Complete Head Lice Removal Kit||Solution, Spray||$$$||4.3|
|3. Licefreee Spray, Instant Head Lice Treatment Spray Bottle With Metal Comb, 6-Ounce ||Spray||$$||4.3|
|4. Lice Shield Shampoo and Conditioner in 1, 10 Fluid Ounce||Shampoo||$||4.3|
|5. OGX Shampoo, Hydrating TeaTree Mint, 13oz ||Shampoo||$||4.3|
|6. LiceLogic # 1 Lice Shampoo and Lice Treatment Natural One Day Head Lice and Nit Treatment||Shampoo||$$$$||4.0|
|7. Nix Ultra 2-in-1 Lice Treatment, 3.4 Fluid Ounce ||Solution, Comb||$$||3.9|
|8. RID Shampoo, 8-Ounce||Shampoo||$$||3.9|
|9. LiceMD Lice & Egg Treatment, 4-Ounce Bottle ||Gel, Comb||$||3.8|
|10. Clearlice Natural One Day Head Lice Treatment & Pesticide Free ||Shampoo||$$$$||3.7|
Things to Consider When Buying a Lice Treatment
It isn’t easy to choose the right treatment, especially when you’re faced with numerous different options. However, because it is true that not all of those products will work well for you, it is important to take your time choosing the best lice treatment to avoid purchasing the wrong product.
Make sure to keep these major considerations in mind when buying your lice treatment to get the right option for your needs and preferences.
- Treatment Form. There are lots of ways that lice treatment can be applied and used, and these all offer different pros and cons. Understanding the specifics of each treatment form will help you identify an option that suits your needs and preferences.
- Shampoos. Of course, what better way to easily address lice than with shampoo? These products aim to kill lice and clean the scalp to prevent future infestation. The only issue that some consumers have with shampoos is that they are often lead to dry and frizzy hair.
- Treatment Kits. These kits can include a variety of different items intended for lice treatment. The most common are liquid formulas that are applied for several hours and then washed off with shampoo. Some also include a special narrow teethed comb to help manually remove lice and their eggs from the hair.
- Sprays. For people with mild to moderate lice infestation, sprays are an ideal form of treatment. These products protect the scalp from lice and kill off any existing lice and their eggs. Sprays are often used once in the morning and once at night, but they can also be used on children who are to play with untreated playmates that may have lice.
- Medicated Treatments. For severe lice infestation, it may be necessary to use a medicated treatment. These are only accessible with the prescription of a doctor and may require special instruction for usage. Most often, these products are bound to cause unwanted reactions and side-effects, which can make them very irritating on a sensitive scalp.
Whenever possible, it would be ideal to use a product that’s available without a prescription as these are much less likely to cause side-effects; however, if infestation persists, it may be ideal to consult your doctor.
- Active Ingredients. It is important to look into the active ingredients in your chosen product because this will tell you how well it will work to kill existing lice and eggs. The most common active ingredients in lice treatment products are:
- Eucalyptus and Mint. To a typical person, menthol ingredients can provide a very cool and refreshing feeling; however, for lice, this sensation is deadly, causing serious damage to their eggs, nests, and the lice themselves. These ingredients also help to soothe the irritated skin to provide instant relief from itching caused by the parasites.
- Tea Tree Oil. The main function of tea tree oil is to nourish the skin and relieve irritation. Although the ingredient itself is not deadly to lice, the coating it leaves on the scalp is powerful enough to prevent lice from latching, thus leaving them no option but to leave the scalp.
- Dimethicone. This ingredient kills lice by cutting off their breathing mechanism. The chemical penetrates into the spiracles – which resemble pores – of the lice’s body, effectively killing them. It also does away with the lice’s eggs by disrupting the delicate chemical balance they need to survive.
Top 5 Best Lice Treatment Reviews
For many buyers, Maple Holistics Tea Tree Special Formula Shampoo is the best lice treatment and for several good reasons. This all-natural formulation is infused with several powerful essential oils that don’t only kill lice but also nourish the hair and scalp for optimum health: this sets it apart from other shampoos for lice which tend to dry out the hair.
The product is highly effective at instant relief and works to kill existing lice and eggs as soon as the first use: this makes it a prime option for people who want to be able to get rid of their lice as soon as possible – without having to wait for several uses before experiencing results.
The Quit Nits Non-Toxic Head Lice Kit is an effective lice treatment for both adults and children, and effectively works to remove both living lice and its eggs. The product uses a two-part process – the first is the lice treatment itself, which is used before washing the hair with traditional shampoo: this kills living lice and compromises egg health.
The second part of the treatment process is the spray. Once the lice and eggs have been effectively killed, the spray should be applied at least once a day. For kids, the spray should be used before making contact with other children who may not have had treatment.
All in all, it is a highly effective product. The only problem some consumers have with it is that it can be relatively tedious, especially for those with severe lice infestation.
For those who want an easy yet thorough remedy for lice, the Licefree Spray Instant Head Lice Treatment is a premium choice. This product kills lice and eggs instantly, making it a good selection for parents with kids who are struggling with an infestation.
The product comes with a nit comb that can be used to clear away dead lice and eggs. However, using the comb on yourself can be a bit of a hassle, which is why the entire kit is best used with assistance.
All in all, the Licefree Spray Instant Head Lice Treatment Kit can be very effective. The only problem that some users have is that it can be inconvenient for self-use, which is how most people tend to treat lice infestation.
This two-in-one formulation is the perfect choice for parents who want to protect their family against lice infestation. Lice Shield Shampoo and Conditioner in 1 effectively repels lice, keeping users safe from infestation even when in contact with an untreated individual.
For those who worry about dry, frizzy hair, the formulation incorporates 5 powerful essential oils that guarantee hair health and texture while effectively protecting against lice. The only problem with this product is that it is ideal for repelling lice rather than killing them. Although it can treat existing lice to some extent, it may not be as effective as other options that are specifically developed for killing living lice and eggs.
What makes this product an effective lice treatment solution is the inclusion of menthol, eucalyptus, and mint. These three ingredients are potent compounds that effectively clear out the scalp and cool down the irritation for instant relief. What’s more, they create a hostile environment throughout the scalp, making it unlivable for lice and their eggs.
Aside from being an effective remedy, Hydrating Teatree Mint Shampoo is also a very affordable solution. At just a fraction of the cost of other options, this is a prime pick for people working on a budget.