If you’ve ever had to sit through a long car ride, train ride, or even an amusement park ride, motion sickness is probably something you’re already familiar with. Characterized by dizziness and nausea, motion sickness is a common problem that occurs when your sense of balance is disrupted by environmental motion.
Of course, no one wants to have to suffer through those unsettling feelings during a ride. So it’s important that you pack some motion sickness medicine with you the next time you’re scheduled for a long trip. However, choosing a motion sickness remedy can be a problem especially once you find how many options are available.
Avoid falling into a bad purchase and make sure you buy nothing but the best motion sickness medicine by keeping this guide in mind.
Top 10 Motion Sickness Medicines Chart
|1. Gravol Certified Organic Ginger Antinauseant for NAUSEA, VOMITING & MOTION SICKNESS||Yes||$$$$||4.9|
|2. Rugby Travel Sickness, Tablets, 100 ea ||No||$$||4.6|
|3. Bonine Motion Sickness Tablets, Raspberry, 16 Count||No||$$||4.5|
|4. Dramamine Motion Sickness Relief Original Formula, 50 mg, 12 Count ||No||$||4.4|
|5. Hyland's Motion Sickness Relief Tablets, Natural Relief for Nausea and Dizziness, 50 Count||Yes||$$||4.4|
|6. MotionEaze Sickness Relief, All-Natural Topical Liquid, 2.5 ml ||Yes||$$||4.2|
|7. Dramamine Non-Drowsy Naturals with Natural Ginger, 18 Count||No||$||4.1|
|8. Equate - Motion Sickness 50 mg, 100 Tablets Anti-Vomiting/Nausea||No||$$||4.1|
|9. MQ® Motion Sickness Patch,20 Count/Box ||Yes||$$||4.0|
|10. Soothing Scents Quease Ease - Motion Sickness Instant Relief||Yes||$$$||3.9|
Considerations You Should Make Before Buying
From their form to their formulation, motion sickness medicine can differ greatly. Because your body won’t respond to each one the same way, it’s important to assess all the factors before you make a purchase. Remember to think of these main considerations before you pay for your product so you can land the best motion sickness medicine for your needs.
- Form. Pills, syrups, patches, and scents are common forms that motion sickness medicines come in. Generally, they’re all equally effective, but there are certain factors that can make them more ideal for your needs.
Imagine you’re in a moving vehicle like a car or a plane, and you feel a strong sense of dizziness and nausea. Would you have the time or the presence of mind to mix together an elaborate motion sickness remedy? Or would you prefer one that you could immediately take for faster relief? That said, it is more common for buyers to choose products that they deem easier to take, especially because motion sickness can limit your ability to properly handle certain products.
- Main Active Ingredient. Active ingredients can vary across products, and these all aim to target motion sickness via different mechanisms. Depending on what you believe will work best for your system, it’s important that you select a remedy that incorporates an ingredient that will provide maximum relief.
- Meclizine HCl. This antiemetic is a common ingredient in motion sickness remedies which works to prevent the vomiting urges and indirectly stops the persistence of dizziness.
- Dimenhydrinate. Another popular antiemetic, this antiemetic is also very effective at reducing the symptoms of motion sickness. To some extent, it can be more powerful than meclizine, but it also causes some disturbances with consciousness. So if you’re the one operating the vehicle, it’s best to steer clear of dimenhydramine.
- Nux Vomica. This natural plant remedy is commonly used in homeopathic remedies and works to relieve motion sickness symptoms without the risk for side effects.
- Peppermint or Menthol. It has been observed that the strong minty scent left by these common motion sickness medicine ingredients helps to reduce dizziness, thus reducing the chances for vomiting as well.
- Natural Versus Medicated. Some people prefer homeopathic remedies because they’re much less likely to cause side-effects. That said however, there isn’t a guarantee that homeopathic remedies will provide positive results. Of course, this depends on how well your body responds to the ingredients in the formulation.
Medicated remedies on the other hand – while more effective – are also likely to cause side effects and adverse reactions. What’s more, if you’re currently taking other medications, it may be contraindicated to take motion sickness medicine.
Top 3 Best Motion Sickness Medicine Reviews
If you’re looking for an effective all-natural remedy for your motion sickness, Gravol Natural Source Certified Organic Ginger is the ideal choice. This organic product uses ginger root as its main ingredient which works to calm the senses by leaving a powerful burning sensation.
While it’s not the most affordable option on the list, Gravol Natural Source Certified Organic Ginger has been rated by countless users as the best medicine for motion sickness because it doesn’t cause side-effects and it works faster than other remedies. What’s more, the product is also suited for use with children, making it the perfect anti-motion sickness remedy to have in tote during family outings.
These chewable tablets have received high praise from consumers because of the convenient form that they come in. Because the motion sickness can make it easy to vomit, taking medications that require water could trigger the body to regurgitate the dosage. With these chewable tablets, however, that becomes much less likely, making it easier to achieve relief without the risk of aggravating your stomach.
What you do need to keep in mind about Rugby Travel Sickness Chewable Tablets is that they target nausea more than they do dizziness. So while they might be able to relieve dizziness, the results may be marginal.
The third most popular medicine for motion sickness is Bonine For Motion Sickness. Using the same active ingredients as Rugby, Bonine aims to relieve nausea by soothing the centers in the brain that cause the nauseated feeling. It’s very effective on most individuals, and works well to calm dizziness as well.
The only major issue with Bonine For Motion Sickness is that it causes marked drowsiness. So if you’re behind the wheel, taking a dosage of Bonine may not be the safest course of action.