If you work as a healthcare provider or if you simply want to have the right equipment at home to monitor your health, a pulse oximeter is an easy and affordable essential you should have in your arsenal. This convenient tool can monitor a plethora of different vital signs, but most commonly measures oxygen saturation and this is especially important during emergency situations.
Because these measurements will dictate your next course of action, it’s important that your chosen pulse oximeter provides the most accurate readings as possible. How can you ensure this? By choosing the best pulse oximeter on the market. Find out how to make the right purchase by following this comprehensive guide.
Top 10 Pulse Oximeters Ultimate Table
What Makes a Good Pulse Oximeter?
Different designs and models of pulse oximeters are available on the market, and each one caters to different kinds of users. Depending on what you want out of your pulse oximeter, it’s likely that not each of the available options will satisfy your expectations and needs.
If this is your first time buying a pulse oximeter and you’re not quite sure what you want out of your purchase, understanding the factors that make a good one will help ease the process of choosing.
- Added Functionality. At a bare minimum, a pulse oximeter should give you a reading of your oxygen saturation. However, many pulse oximeters have been designed to provide more readings to give you a better holistic understanding of your current level of health and internal functioning.
Some of the other added functions you can expect out of a pulse oximeter include:
- Plethysmograph. Measurements of variation of volume of the body tissue, especially due to changes is blood pressure.
- Perfusion Index. Readings that indicate how much blood flow (pulse strength) is delivered to peripheral areas of the body.
- Connectivity. While this function does not necessarily directly provide clearer understanding of a person’s health status, connecting your pulse oximeter to a computer can provide greater options for information recording and data analysis.
- Speed. In many cases, a pulse oximeter is used during emergency situations. Getting a quick reading makes it possible to come up with a plan of action faster, thus eliminating the chances of complications. A good pulse oximeter should be able to provide accurate measurements within seconds after being placed on the patient.
However, if you intend to use your pulse oximeter to measure your performance during high altitude sports, speed might not be an important factor. Be sure to consider your intended use to determine whether or not you should seek a product that will provide you the fastest results.
- Low Maintenance. Before it can be used, a pulse oximeter first needs to undergo calibration for accurate and precise readings. A good product should be able to maintain this level of accuracy for at least 2 years before any recalibration or maintenance should be required.
To ensure this, read the packaging and instruction manual to find out whether your chosen pulse oximeter requires regular or frequent maintenance and calibration. Because you will be using your oximeter for a few years, it’s always best to choose one that can provide reliable results for as long as it’s in use.
Top 3 Best Pulse Oximeter Reviews
Designed for both sports enthusiasts and healthcare workers, the Innovo Premium CPE Fingertip Pulse Oximeter with Plethysmograph and Perfusion Index is an accurate pulse oximeter that also measures pulse rate and pulse strength for a complete and precise reading.
This oximeter features an adjustable OLED display that you can conveniently set to one of six different layout settings for easy and convenient use. The display also seamlessly includes a waveform of your plethysmograph reading for an easier visual understanding of the collected results.
Lightweight, easy to use, and convenient, the Innovo Premium CPE Fingertip Pulse Oximeter with Plethysmograph and Perfusion Index is a premium choice for buyers looking for the best pulse oximeter along the middle price range.
Designed for durability, the Concord BlackOx Fingertip Oximeter with Reversible Display is the ultimate pulse oximeter for users who expect to put their device through some rough and tough situations. For many emergency healthcare responders or extreme sports enthusiasts, this added durability will help eliminate the risk of damage to their oximeter.
The design features a single button that can turn the device on and flip the screen for convenient readings to speed up the process of confirming results. The device also accommodates a wide range of finger sizes, able to fit young children and older adults with comfort and ease.
As one of the cheaper options on the list, Concord BlackOx Fingertip Oximeter with Reversible Display is a budget friendly alternative for users who want a long lasting, durable, and efficient oximeter that gets the job done fast.
The Santamedical brand has become one of the most popular manufacturers of pulse oximeters throughout the years. Their Generation 2 SM-165 Fingertip Pulse Oximeter is one of their best models, featuring accurate measurements and convenient use for instant and reliable results.
Much like other pulse oximeters, the Santamedical Generation 2 SM-165 Fingertip Pulse Oximeter also features a rotational display that can be easily adjusted to make it easier to understand readings.
The single issue with this oximeter is that it might not be suitable for small children, considering that the size won’t be able to accommodate such small fingers.